Two more down, and the third still lagging . . .

 . . . but I guess that’s par for the course when illness interferes with creativity!

I know I should be concentrating on the Ocean Wave Throw that’s this month’s challenge with The Crochet Crowd, but I have to admit it takes more concentration to do than I seem to have at present, so it tends to be left in the background while I craft other, more easily created, and definitely more fun to create, things :/

I’ve managed to complete two more items since my last post – a cute little wrist pincushion, and a bed for my cat, Kushka.

The pincushion is in the shape of a frog sitting on a Lily Pad, and I followed the pattern only as far as crafting the frog itself was concerned. Although I need patterns still, I do like to add my own little touch to whatever I do, and with this, I actually crocheted the Lily Pad, whereas the pattern called for a felt one – and as I don’t happen to have any felt handy, I looked up a pattern I had for a Lily Pad, and made it myself. It was just the right size, as it happens, so I’m very happy with the result 🙂

Another thing I added, was a tongue for the frog, as I felt he looked a little unfinished without one 🙂

As usual with me, it’s not the best sewn together of frogs, but I don’t expect miracles with my arthritic hands, and am just glad I managed to do it at all 🙂

The pattern is one that is meant to sit on the wrist of the user, so I sorted out some suitable elastic, and sewed it to the bottom of the Lili Pad, and it looks quite good when worn, so that made me happy, too 🙂

There was also a choice in the pattern to add a magnetic pad to the mouth as it’s sewn together, to hold a needle or pin, and I did add one, but found it isn’t really strong enough to work behind the layer of yarn and padding required – if I make another one, I’m just going to have to get stronger magnets, or just not bother at all.

I took quite a few photos of the pincushion but, due to my inexperience with cameras, only managed to get two reasonable ones, so here they are:


It was fortunate that I had a plentiful supply of different safety eyes to make a selection from, and as soon as I saw the eyes on the frog, I knew I’d made a good choice, as they really seem to bring his character alive. The added tongue definitely gives him a cheeky look! Lol

The cat bed I made, wasn’t to any particular pattern. I just created a large circle for the base, using single crochet throughout, then I crocheted a tube to surround it, using double crochet this time, and which I then stuffed with the usual safety fibre filling. I then sewed the two parts together. 

I actually used three different strands of yarn for this, in Dusky Lilac, Turquoise, and Black, and I think they made a really nice pattern as they were crocheted together. It certainly makes up for being such a plain bed, and Kushka seems to like it okay 🙂












All-in-all, it’s been a very productive few days, but I know I’ve got to get back to creating that throw soon, as I really like the five different colours I’ve chosen to crochet it in, and I’d love to see the completed effect!

I guess I should take my own advice when I say to you, Keep Crocheting! 🙂




Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Crochet

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s